Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Thanksgiving Dinner To Partially Remember

My mother is Scottish. Extremely Scottish. She has kept her accent despite years of being in this country, and not once has she forgotten her culture and heritage.

This was the first Thanksgiving since my dad passed away, and instead of having the traditional dinner at my cousin's place in Houston, we joined our family friends that live over by SMU's campus. My mom was charged with bringing a desert, and she decided to make her famous rum cake. Rum cake is an extreme understatement. It should have been called Handle-of-Rum Cake.

Looks harmless enough...

I kid you not, I almost needed a chaser for every bite I took. It was outrageous. With every bite someone took, glances were exchanged that just screamed "Are... you serious?" Someone's son snuck a piece of the cake while everyone was making the desert table run and had to run to the bathroom after tasting it. Even my "uncle," a devout believer in the drink, was making faces at how strong this cake was. 

Everyone was hammered. 

Dinner was awesome. 

It's been my favorite Thanksgiving. I just wish my dad could have been there, he would have been double fisting rum cake slices. 

HAPPY BELATED THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

And happy holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment