Wednesday, December 1, 2010

So I Turned 21.

On October 30th, 1989, I was born.

On October 30th, 2010, I turned the ripe old age of 21.

When I turned nineteen and twenty, I didn't feel a difference. I went to bed nineteen, and woke up twenty - simple as that. There was no milestone.

Turning twenty-one has been unbelievable. Lucky for me, my girlfriend had a sorority formal that night, and I was whisked away on a bus to House of Blues downtown to experience my new found freedom.

Alcohol is interesting. Like golf, it is a cruel, cruel mistress. Perfectly sober, a 12 dollar drink is outrageous. After a few drinks however, a 12 dollar beverage is meaningless - just an occasion to throw it on the credit card and worry about it tomorrow.

MasterCard's got this round!

For the first few days, all I thought about turning twenty one was "Hey, I can drink legally now."

My God, was I wrong. Not only do I feel more mature, but I feel like everyone looks at me like I'm more mature. People expect more - and rightfully so. I am no longer a teen. There is nothing I legally can't do.

Except rent a car, I think you've got to be 25 to do that. But come on now, who cares about that?

These folks do.

My 21st birthday was awesome. I had people I didn't know buying me drinks, and I was wearing a full Scottish-style kilt for the formal. I'm sure I looked ridiculous. But I felt amazing. It was an honor turning 21 wearing my traditional garb. I'm sure all of my family back home would be very proud of me. 

Then again, they've been drinking since they were 18, no one cares about a 21st birthday over there. 

That just means you're old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment