Wednesday, October 6, 2010

This Social Bubble...

When I first came to SMU, I was blown away by the newly acquired freedom. I had gone to a pretty strict private school in Houston, Texas, and had my wild instincts severely dampened by teachers, parents, and friends alike. All of that changed when I arrived at College. 

From This...

My first night, I ended up at this off campus party drinking with my Spanish roommate and all of his friends. I didn't know anybody at SMU, and I was glad to be included by my new roommate (Even though I spent the majority of the time trying to figure out what was being said - they did not speak in English just for me). I spent the next two semesters going out, drinking, experiencing everything Greenville, and by extension, Dallas, had to offer. 

Then Freshman year ended.

... And Sophomore year was spent going through pledgeship in a fraternity, dealing with the failing health of my father, and trying to convince SMU and the government that I was talented enough to deserve financial aid.

And here I am, a little over two years later, bursting forth into a new social bubble all over again.

Let me tell you something: Nothing beats living in a fraternity house. The food sucks. The noise sucks. The bathrooms suck. But oh my god is it fun. There is always something to do and someone to do it with. I've never experienced anything like it.

... and as a result, can't help but compare it to the first time I began the whole "Freshman-year" experience.

To This.
It's been tough. 

Freshman year was relatively easy to manage. School was not a huge increase in work from my high school. I could balance going out with school, friends, and family.

Now I'm into my major classes, working thirty hours a week, living in a fraternity house, trying to be a new father figure for my sister and mother, making money, spending money, and looking for an internship.

But what's that, bro? Oh, you want to shot gun a beer?

Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment