Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Best Advice I was Ever Given...

... came from a guy that owned an exotic pet store in Houston.

I used to love reptiles as a kid. My parents used to take me to this pet store called Pets-A-Plenty, kind of this... mom-and-pop run store that held a bunch of animals - everything from little garden geckos to six and a half foot alligators to deadly cobras and anacondas. It was a little boys dream.

One day I went into the store, and the owner's son had a bandage over his hand. He knew me by face and came over to say hello and show me his injury. Apparently while he was handling a Red Cobra, it reared around and bit him on the hand, sinking two venomous fangs into his thumb.

I asked him if it hurt.

He paused for a minute, then grinned. I'll never forget what he said:

"Yeah it hurt, but you should have seen this snake. She was beautiful."


One of the most famous snake bite photos ever. This guy got owned.

I thought this spoke to the man's passion. He was not only willing to care for the snake, but completely unfazed when it sent him to the hospital. I've tried to apply this to my life, my dreams, and my goals. If I could have the same passion for something I was interested in, I don't think I could be stopped.

For now, I'll give everything I have to school.

... even if it rears its ugly head and sends me to the hospital.



After all, I have stepped on the seal in Dallas hall.

 (But that was my second week as a freshman, I'm still here curse, send your tanks.)

No comments:

Post a Comment