Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Blog

This is the second (third I guess if you count my Ad Lit blog) that I have ever made. The first was for my freshman English class.

I have never really taken blogs seriously. But hell, that's because I don't know anything about them - and I am the first to admit this. I used to think they were a way for hyper-emotional teenage girls to vent to an audience that cared: the vast emotional abyss that is the internet.

The Internet

But as I read more of them, I can't help but like them. While writing this blog for example (although most of these come from random scribblings and thoughts I have throughout the day rather than an actual updated blog) I consistently find myself side tracked not by YouTube, iTunes, or random websites, but by other people's blogs. I just read some random guys blog about being an American in Korea, and how he took this girl out on his first Korean date. I've never been to Korea. I've never dated a Korean girl. But it was kind of cool reading about his experience. I'm not going to say that its almost like I've experienced it as a result of reading his blog, because that would be some vicarious mumbo-jumbo BS. 

But what I will say is that I learned some interesting tidbits about Korean culture (turns out they occasionally cut food with scissors because they cannot use knives) as well as what not to do on a date in a foreign land. 

And ultimately, that information may never be useful. But that's kind of what makes the blog idea so cool. I can pick whatever blog I want, and take whatever I want from it. And what's even cooler is that I can respond. I could write a scathing critique of Korean-American relations. I could share my own personal dating story. I could agree, I could disagree, I could write "Cool story bro, no one cares." and feel better about myself for ten minutes. 

Yeah its been about ten minutes now, and I feel great.

No comments:

Post a Comment