Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Look at me, now look away, now look at me again.

I love those advertisements. I can't help but grin when that guy mumbles "Swan dive!" and dives into the hot tub. I always laugh when he says "And take you on more of these... while wearing one of these, or one of these... but most likely one of these... all over this."

Old Spice Boat Commercial

For those of you who do not know what I'm talking about, it's time to turn on the TV.

His name is Isaiah Mustafa. He is the new face of Old Spice deodorant.

The Man I Could Apparently Smell Like...

It turns out he's this ex-NFL farm team player and even played in the European football leagues. Now he's the new face of Old Spice thanks to Weiden and Kennedey and their "The Man Your Man Could Smell Like" campaign. 

I've been buying Old Spice recently. I used to swear by axe, but I've never been tackled by a dozen smitten women just because I did a double-pits-to-chestie. 

However much I like these advertisements though, I think the newer ones are kind of stupid. I'm talking about the one with Ray Lewis flying the planet destroying raven with a jet engine where its tail feathers should be.


I feel like they are just trying too hard at that point. The Isaiah Mustafa advertisements worked so well because they were different without being absolutely outrageous. It was a nice change of scenery from the typical deodorant commercials of hordes of girls jumping the bones of over-sprayed teens. I'm talking about axe and that tag crap. The Isaiah ads broke that pattern. It was a great step in the right direction. But Ray Lewis flying a raven? And then blowing up a planet?

Gimme a fucking break.

I'll take my Ray Lewis playing for the Ravens. 

ba da BA DA BAH ba DA DAH!
(That's the old spice theme.)









No comments:

Post a Comment