Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dallas Mexican Food - a critique

I was born and raised on Mi Cocina.

I am originally from Houston, but I was born in D-town. I was born with clubbed feet, and every year and a half I had to come back to Scottish Rites Hospital over on Oak Lawn and get a check up.
Clubbed Feet

While we were in Dallas, every time, for as long as I can remember, we went to Mi Cocina. If you've never been there, check it out, it's a great place. It's pretty upscale, but not "too" upscale. And the prices are just expensive enough to feel like you're taking someone out to a fine-dining restaurant, but cheap enough to where you can come back.

Over in Up-Town

I get beef fajitas everywhere I go. 

I used to get beans and rice wherever I went. I used to be so picky, I never ate meat, hated salsa, and got literally, beans and rice at Mexican places. Then again, I weighed 200 lbs in eighth grade, then 165 when I graduated high school. Clearly my diet choices were great as a child.

Regardless, Mi Cocina has some great fajitas.

But lately, I've been going to new places with my girlfriend. 

And let me tell you, I'm glad I have.

Blue Goose, over on Greenville, is absolutely fantastic. The fajitas are delicious, and they even have an in-house tortilla machine that sits right in the center of the restaurant. The chips are great, the salsa is better, and the atmosphere is awesome - especially sitting outside these past few days when the weather has been perfect. 

Odd name, delicious food

Also on Greenville is Gloria's.

Not going to lie, I'm not much of a fan.

I'd been there a few times and liked it, but... after going there a few times, the food is just overwhelmingly mediocre. It's so bland, and I can't imagine that is what they are going for, especially at a Mexican place. The rice tastes boring and weak, and while the fajitas are good, the lack of spice just makes it pointless. 


Sitting outside is cool, but doesn't make up for everything else.

One thing I will admit is that the restaurant itself is probably the nicest of the three. It looks like a really upscale place both inside and out, but it kills me how lame the food is. One thing it does have going for it though are the prices. It's 9.99 for fajitas - and not like a quarter pound or some small amount. Usually fajitas are at least 13, and after tax and tip, you probably pay like 16 bucks. 

If you love Mexican food, check out Blue Goose and Mi Cocina. If you like nice restaurants and mediocre food, check out Gloria's. And I'm sure I'll get a dozen haters telling me how great Gloria's is and how I'm full of it and stupid and don't know what I'm talking about. 

That's fine, that's what a blog is for. Let me have it.

Or give me a recommendation for place. 

But for now, I'll be eating at Blue Goose.



... and loving every damn minute of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment